D2304-1 Safety and Security of Guests, Employees and Assets
Safety and Security of Guests, Employees and Assets
The guest, who comes to a particular hotel, comes with an understanding that he and his belongings both will be safe and secure during his stay at the hotel. At the same time it is also quite important that the hotel staff and assets are protected and secure. Hence it is very important to have a proper Safety and Security system in place to protect staff, guests and physical resources and assets such as equipment, appliances buildings, gardens of the hotel and also the belongings of the guest. Safety and Security is always the first priority towards guest service.
IMPORTANCE OF A SAFETY AND SECURITY SYSTEM
The management must take care that the Safety and Security systems cover the following areas:
- Guest: Protection from crimes such as murder, abduction and health hazards from outsiders, hotel staff, pests, food poisoning etc.
- Staff: Providing staff lockers, insurances, health schemes, provident funds etc. Protective clothing, shoes, fire fighting drills, supply of clean drinking water use of aqua guards, sanitized wash rooms etc.
- Guest luggage: Secure luggage store rooms and proper equipment such as luggage trolley and bell hop trolley should be provided.
- Hotel Equipments: Lifts, Boilers, Kitchen equipment, furniture fitting and building etc. must be protected and for these the Safety and Security should cover up fire safety equipment, bomb threat security system, water floods security system, earthquake security system , safe vault safety and security system etc.
- Protection of raw materials, goods, provisions and groceries etc. For this the safety and security system should cover proper storage and pest control systems, apart from the application of total material management system.
- Protection of Funds:
- Only one person should have access to each cash bank and each bank should be in a separate drawer.
- All transactions should be recorded immediately.
- The cashier should close the cash register drawer after each transaction.
- Cashiers should complete transaction in process before changing currency into different denominations for the guests. Each change request should be handled as a new transaction to avoid confusion.
- A supervisor or a member of the accounting division should occasionally conduct an unscheduled audit of front office cash registers.
- The hotels should have a policy that states where employees should place cash during a transaction.
TYPES OF SECURITY:
- Physical aspect
- Safety and Security of persons
- Safety and Security of systems
1) Physical aspect is divided into two parts a) Internal b) External
- a) Internal security
- Against theft
- Fire safety
- Proper lighting
- Safeguarding assets
- Track unwanted guests
- b) External Security
- Proper lighting outside the building
- Proper fencing of the building
- Fencing of pool area to avoid accidents in the night
- Manning of service gates to restrict entry
- Fixing of closed circuit TV cameras
2) Security aspects of persons
- a) Staff
- Effective recruitment and selection
- Identification of staff
- Key control
- Red tag system
- Locker inspection
- b) Guests:
- Check scanty baggage guests
- Guests suspected of taking away hotel property should be charged according to hotel policy
- Guest room security:
- i) Provide wide angle door viewer, dead bolt locks, night torch, chains on doors etc
- ii) Employees should be trained to not give any information about in-house guests to outsiders.
iii)While issuing a duplicate card key ask for identification if in doubt of the guest.
- iv) House keeping staff should never leave keys expose on unattended carts in corridors
3) Security aspects of systems
The term system implies the operations of the hotel eg: all the equipment used for operation, procedures laid down for operations and policies to be followed. Systems procedures and policies if followed properly shall safeguard the assets and increase life span of equipment as well as avoid any breakdown maintenance
This would mean the following:
- Fix duties and responsibilities: Fix duties of staff members so that they don’t interfere with others’ work.
- Make surprise checks
- Staff who have access to liquid assets should be made to sign a bond so that in case of theft the concerned person can easily be caught
- Hiring of some independent security company to check the security system of the hotel
- Record of all losses and missing items immediately
- Inventory control should be proper
- Auditing should be done on a regular basis
- Proper system for cash disbursements should be made