Mise en place in Hospitality / Hotels and Restaurants
Mise en place is a French term that literally means, “setting in place.” for having all your ingredients measured, peeled, sliced, cut, grated before cooking. In Hospitality Food and beverage Service mise-en-place means to gather and arrange the items and tools needed for serving.
Service staffs and Mise en place :
• Prepare the mise-en-place for chinaware as trained.
• Pick up the washed chinaware from the shelves located at the dish-washing area and deliver them to the polishing area.
• Prepare hot water in a stainless steel pot, and polish every item, using a chinaware towel.
• Deliver the polished chinaware to the service station using trays.
Glassware for Mise en place :
• Pick up the washed glassware from the shelves located at the dish washing area, deliver them to the polishing area by using glass racks.
• Prepare hot water in a stainless steel pot, steam the glasses in/over hot water and polish them using glass towels.
• Check the glasses for chips, scratches, lipstick marks, etc.
• Hold the glass by the stem or base with a polishing towel after it has been polished.
• Deliver the polished gasses to the service station using the appropriate trays.
For flatware polishing, i.e., forks, knives, spoons, etc. :
• Pick up the washed flatware from the dish-washing area, and deliver the items to the polishing area using trays or racks
• Prepare hot water in a stainless steel pot, put the flatware into the hot water before polishing and polish using a silverware towel
• Check the flatware for any damage, bends or scratches.
• Hold with a cleaning towel after polishing, and deliver to the service station suing the appropriate trays.
• Make sure all flatware is stacked neatly in the assigned service station drawers.
Condiments and sauce bottle for Mise en place :
• Collect all the Sauce bottles and transfer the contents from bottle to bottle until full but do not mix brands.
• Wipe the top with a wet cloth and the entire bottle if dirty.
• Prepare hot water in a stainless steel pot, put all the sauce bottle caps into hot water for about 10 minutes. Take out the caps and wipe them with a clean wet cloth and polish them with a dry towel.
• Deliver the bottles to the service station after cleaning.
Salt and pepper set (cruet set):
• Collect all salt and pepper containers in one place, remove the caps and clean the exterior of the containers.
• Refill with new salt or pepper until 90 % full. No salt or pepper containers shall have less than half of its capacity.
• Wipe and polish the tops and caps (check that holes are clear on the caps), and deliver them to the service station after cleaning.
Mise en place and Napkin folding :
• Pick up fresh napkins from the linen room during the authorized hours, twice a day.
• Fold the napkins in a designated shape according to the Manager’s or Supervisor’s instructions.
• Deliver to the service station after folding.
Fill up the service station and bring the following items according to the established par stock :
1. Water goblets
2. Service trays
3. Coffee cups
5. Salt and pepper sets
6. Toothpick holders
9. Table cloths
10. Sauce bottles
11. Sugar bowls
12. Water pitchers
13. Fill up the ice container.